It sounds weird, I know, but this egg drink is really good, and the near-boiling water pasteurizes the eggs, so you don’t have to worry about “raw” eggs in this recipe.
- 2-4 T virgin coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups near-boiling water
- stevia to taste
- cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, or vanilla to taste
- Place coconut oil and eggs in a large blender jar.
- Carefully pour the hot water over the top of the eggs and oil. Process ’til the drink is smooth and the oil is emulsified.
- Add additional flavorings like sweetener, spices, or vanilla. Pulse blender one or two times to mix.
I’ve been known to make this drink with a tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of coconut oil for those times when 2 T of coconut oil is too much for my system to handle. Sometimes, I’ll also decrease the water a bit, get it all blended, and then add some ice and blend some more. The drink is good hot in the winter, but it’s good cold in the summer. It almost tastes like eggnog.
A good variation is to leave out the stevia and flavorings and make the drink with stock instead of water for a savory twist. Add some fresh-crushed garlic, and you have something that’s really nutritious when you’re not feeling well. Tastes great too!